Nuclear Industry Aquablast UHP Applications
Aquablast supplies and supports a number of UHP pumpsets and bespoke application tooling packages for a range of tasks at Magnox decommissioned sites in the UK including Berkeley, Bradwell and Hunterston and at Calder Hall for Sellafield Ltd.
Our UHP pumps operating at up to 60,000 psi (4000bar) are advantageous where minimal use of water is vital and where long term reliability is essential.
Most tasks were achieved with average waterjet flows of only four litres per minute and the exceptional pressures used have outstanding ability to comprehensively de-scale or remove contaminated material from, for example, MSM slave ends and crane modules.
- Decontaminating storage pond walls at Berkeley and Bradwell were carried out successfully for Magnox.
- Fuel rod storage caskets were decontaminated by Aquablast UHP waterjet tools so effectively that they achieved free release status for scrapping, reducing the burden on long term storage sites.
- Material samples were cut from reactor enclosures in submarine power plants.
- The tightly adherent and extremely tough System 6 coating programme for storage skips was readily removeable by Aquablast UHP rotary waterjets.
Key features of 60,000 psi water jetting:
- Exceptionally low water consumption – as low as two ltrs/minute;
- User friendly application tooling with very low reaction forces and no HAV issues – typically 12-25 lbs force (55-110N)
- High speed rotary fluid swivels from 100 – 4000 bar operating pressure and from 100 to 4000 rpm enabling precise control of surface removal depth;
- Multi-connection quick release couplings are easily integrated with deployment tools; changeable manually or by MSM;
- Deep single pass ability to at least 300mm with an abrasive waterjet which will ‘cold cut’ in any material;
- Underwater cleaning and cutting ability;
- No sparks, flames or aggressive chemicals.
UHP Powerpack and speciality application tooling, design and manufacture – sales or rental.
Call Aquablast on (44) 1502 714143